Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pierre Sparr - Gewürztraminer

Origin: France
Price: $16.50
Vintage: 2008
Date drunk: March 12th, 2010



g.: *sip* I'm a little worried.

d.: ah uhh umm. oh my. [unintelligible].

g.: It's really sour. It almost tastes like it's gone bad. which yes, I know, is the point of wine to begin with. But this is more like... grape yogurt in the back of the fridge, long forgotten.

d.: I think it tastes like they accidentally used decorative soap grapes instead of real ones.

g.: Those exist. I think my mom probably had some. Okay, overall it isn't bad. I think some of the underlying flavours are really nice, but there's that hint of sour/soapy that's really throwing me off. I have the feeling this particular characteristic is something I'm actually supposed to appreciate, but maybe it's an acquired taste. Like... bar soap.

d.: Bar soap is pretty tasty. Jergens is best. This wine, I think there's too much going on in the taste. And it's not necessarily complementary stuff.

g.: I don't know what you mean. I heartily enjoy a combo of rotten yogurt gummy worms and Jergens. Okay, that was too mean. This is definitely not that horrifying. I'm just... concerned.

d.: It seems to be getting better with subsequent sips. The harsher notes are softening.

g.: This means we have to drink it all right now as fast as we can, while it's still good. Go go go.

... meanwhile, d. is finished and I am halfway through my first glass. Aaaand I still taste soap. The time is not right.

d.: The time is always right for a soap wine party!

g.: Conclusion: we've done FAR worse (see: Marqués de Riscal), but we've also done better and for cheaper. This wine is probably not bad, we just don't like the elements of... whatever it is. Buy at your own risk, etc.

2 comments:

dawewines said...

Thanks for sharing this kind of useful information. Here is Daweine to enable you to have the . Gewurztraminer Wines at home delivery I believe is available. To provide you with hard to find champagnes from artisanal growers as well as wines that I actually know are good, not only technically great but I genuinely love them too.

dawewines said...

Non-Vintage Champagnes
Non-vintages are valued for familiarity, often highlighting a label’s flagship tastes and aromas. Each Champagne maker has a house style with some houses are Pinot Noir focused and are richer and bolder.