Sunday, December 4, 2011

Arboleda - Chardonnay

Oh hi? It's been... awhile. Honestly, we don't drink that much (wine) anymore, so we've been absent mainly for lack of material. I've recently developed the urge to frantically type gibberish on the internet again, so here we are, a little bit tipsy and full of the obnoxious blogging spirit.

One caveat I should mention: I think I might have lost my finely honed ability to distinguish between what is actually gross and what is gross on purpose. This is an important skill to have when tasting questionable wine. Is the taste of leaves and rocks ("minerals") intentional or did someone just not give a shit because they're making $8 wine? We'll see how this goes, everyone.

[also see two old but new reviews posted today 1, 2]

Origin: Chile
Price: $13,40
Vintage: 2008
Date drunk: December 4th, 2011


g.: I think this smells like buttered toast. I read the label on the back before smelling it, though, and it said "toasted notes" so maybe it's just confirmation bias.

*sips* WHAT THE HELL

d.: It tastes kind of like a sweaty, rusty acoustic guitar string, but better.

g.: ^*horrified* I'm not sure what it is, but I swear to god it DOES taste toasted. All the way toast. It's like warm, crunchy bread with butter topped with various flavours of jelly beans. It sounds disgusting but... no, I would probably eat that.

d.: I would stand around and watch that happen, which is basically the same as drinking it.

g.: I wish I could drink things by visual osmosis. So, d., do you like this?

d.: I think my first comment sums up my feelings nicely, so yes, I do. It has a finish that's harsh but in a way that's good.

g.: Yeah, I actually like it too. I'll reiterate that it has a really lovely warm flavour; it's like... eating toast. I don't even know how else to describe it. Buttery and kind of... fatty. Like shortbread cookies. Oh man, shortbread. Am I hungry? Probably. We're eating croutons but that's not the same THING.

d.: But it's pretty similar because it's bread and it's crunchy and it's sort of buttery.

g.: Oh my god. Croutons are just toast. I can't believe that just happened.

Oh, I can also taste the toffee mentioned on the back label. Imagine, a wine description was actually accurate.

d.: It's like someone rubbed a sweaty, rusty acoustic guitar string with a piece of toffee.

g.: Man you stick to your guns.

d.: I'm like one of those dogs, with the biting and the not letting go. *makes jaws with hands*

g.: g. and d., ferociously reviewing since 2009.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear G & D

Thank God you're back. Your tasting notes are incredible.

Please keep it up.

Liam

g. said...

We thank you muchly. I got this comment while in the middle of typing up a new review, and it fueled the flames of my motivation.

Not that I need motivation to keep drinking too much wine.